Peace Corps Government Agency - United States | Nigeria Application

Start Your Application - Peace Corps Government Agency - United States | Nigeria

Application Process - This is your time
The Peace Corps serves in more than 60 countries on many of the world's pressing issues. Remember Peace Corps Volunteers range in age, gender, race, and professional experience. Join the nearly 7,000 Americans serving abroad and find the right fit.

Applicants to the two-year program must be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen. 

Apply 9 to 12 months before you want to leave.

The upcoming application deadline is April 1 to depart in fall 2017.

Searches related to peace corps

  1. peace corps jobs salary
  2. peace corps of nigeria official website
  3. peace corps of nigeria recruitment form
  4. nigeria peace corps current news
  5. peace corps recruitment process
  6. peace corp recruiting office
  7. peace corps application deadline 2016
  8. peace corps of nigeria recruitment 2017


Are there any costs associated with applying to the Peace Corps? 
There are no application fees, and there are no fees associated with visas, passports, or plane tickets for candidates invited to serve. There are costs associated with mandatory medical screening for some applicants before being invited to serve, and all applicants who receive a formal invitation to serve. The Peace Corps provides modest cost sharing for some medical screening expenses incurred after candidates accept an invitation. More information about cost sharing is given to applicants at the time of invitation.

Can I serve with my unmarried partner? 
Yes. The Peace Corps accepts unmarried couples in committed domestic partnerships. Couples who have been in a committed relationship for at least a year before they begin service are better able to adapt to the challenges of the Peace Corps. Unmarried couples seeking to serve as a couple must attest to their committed domestic partner relationship as part of their applications. 

See more information on how to apply as a couple.

Do I need a college degree? 
Opportunities are available for individuals with a combination of relative job experience and education, though most opportunities require a four-year degree.

Do I need to speak a foreign language? 
Language requirements vary by job opportunity, and any requirements will be listed in the job opening. Search the Volunteer Openings page for specific requirements.

How do I check the status of my Peace Corps application? 

  1. When you submit your application, you will receive an email confirmation with a candidate reference number. To check your application status, log into the application portal using your candidate reference number.
  2. I accidentally deleted or lost an email communication directing me to the next step in the application process. How do I find what I need to do? 
  3. Go to the home page of your application portal and select “Communications.” There, you'll see the next task you need to complete.
  4. I do not meet the required qualifications for Global Health Service Partnership positions. Are there similar opportunities to serve with the Peace Corps? 
  5. The Global Health Service Partnership requires a medical or nursing license, but both Peace Corps Response and the two-year Volunteer program offer nonclinical Health sector positions. 
  6. I have a question about a task in the New Volunteer Portal 
  7. Email the respective contact for the activity or form you have a question about. If there isn't a specific contact email, send your question to
  8. I'm having technical difficulties completing my application. What do I do? 
  9. Click on the “Help” tab in the application portal, or send an email describing your exact technical difficulties to
  10. I'm having technical difficulties completing the Soft Skills Questionnaire. What do I do? 
  11. For help, contact the IBM Help Desk, available 24/7/365, at the following: U.S./International: 402.419.5025; Toll-free U.S. and Canada: 855.306.1467; Outside U.S. and Canada: 00+1+402.419.5025; email:
  12. Is there a limit to the number of Volunteer openings I can apply to at once? 
  13. You can apply to up to three specific countries and work sectors at a time. You can also select "Anywhere I am Needed" and/or "Any Work Sector" as your choices. Applicants can also reapply for future programs if they are not selected for their top choices. Search Volunteer Openings for Volunteer opportunities available now.
  14. Is there an age limit to serving in the Peace Corps? 
  15. No, there is no upper age limit to Peace Corps service. However, Volunteers must be a minimum of 18 years old to serve.
  16. I've logged into the Medical Applicant Portal before, but I forgot my password. 
  17. Use the Reset Your Password link, just below the entry field for your login and password. You will need your username and your candidate reference number to reset your password.
  18. I want to serve with my spouse/partner. How do we apply? 
  19. Couples are accepted in all three Peace Corps service programs, however, placement options and application time may vary for each. To place a couple we must first identify specific communities that can accommodate couples with adequate work to support two Volunteers, then match that couple with communities that have requested their skill combination. For these reasons, it is more difficult to find assignments and placement generally takes longer for couples than for individuals. 

Two-Year Service: Couples should search for openings in the same country that match both of their skill sets and that accept couples. Couples need to submit individual applications and, in the application, indicate that they are applying to serve with their spouse/domestic partner. Couples should submit their applications at the same time. 

Peace Corps Response: Couples can serve together, but must apply to individual job postings separately. 

Global Health Service Partnership: Couples can apply and serve together, depending on placement options. Partners who are not medical professionals can either apply to serve under Peace Corps Response or can accompany the GHSP volunteer at their expense. 
Contact a recruiter for more information.

Searches related to Peace Corps Government Agency

  1. what buhari said about peace corps of nigeria
  2. peace corps jobs salary
  3. peace corps of nigeria and senate
  4. nigeria peace corps website
  5. is peace corps considered federal employment
  6. peace corps federal employment
  7. is peace corps a federal job
  8. peace corps of nigeria bill

The Medical Applicant Portal does not recognize my login. 

If you attempt to login unsuccessfully more than six times, your account will be locked and you will need to email to have it unlocked. When contacting us, include your name and your seven-digit candidate reference number. Don't forget to make sure you are using the correct email address. If you have a different email address than the one on your résumé, try that one as well.


  1. Is the applicant medical evaluation process different for older candidates? 
  2. The medical evaluation process is the same regardless of an applicant’s age. All applicants undergo a comprehensive medical and dental assessment based on their health history and examinations to determine if their medical needs can be supported in our host countries.
  3. I'm currently receiving Social Security retirement benefits. Will Peace Corps service affect these benefits? 
  4. Only the Social Security Administration can determine whether, or how, your benefits will be affected while you serve as a Volunteer. As a Volunteer, both your readjustment allowance (accrued at the rate of $275 per month and paid at the end of service) and a small percentage of your monthly living allowance constitute earnings for Social Security purposes. Social Security and Medicare tax payments are deducted from your monthly readjustment allowance. For more information, visit or call 800.772.1213.

About Service

Do Peace Corps Volunteers get paid? 

Volunteers receive a living allowance that allows you to live in a manner similar to the local people in your community. The Peace Corps also provides complete medical and dental care and covers the cost of transportation to and from your country of service. To assist with the transition back home, Volunteers who start service after October 1, 2016, are paid $9,450 (before taxes and requested allotment deductions) at the close of 27 months of service. Visit the Benefits page to learn more about what you receive as a Volunteer.

How can I contact current or recently returned Volunteers to ask them about their experiences? 

  1. You can find Volunteer stories on the Stories page of our website. To connect with a returned Volunteer, contact your local recruitment office and speak with a recruiter. As almost all recruiters are returned Volunteers, they can talk with you about their personal experiences as a Peace Corps Volunteer or put in you touch with a returned Volunteer who lives in your area.
  2. If my partner/spouse or someone in his or her immediate family has a terminal illness or dies during service, will I be able to accompany them back to the United States? 
  3. Emergency leave may be authorized if a member of the Volunteer’s immediate family (a parent, spouse, sibling, child, or grandchild related to the Volunteer by blood, marriage/civil union/domestic partnership, or adoption) has a terminal illness or dies while the Volunteer is in service. A country director may authorize a Volunteer partner/spouse to accompany the Volunteer whose family member is affected.
  4. I have dietary restrictions and/or food allergies. Will this affect my Peace Corps service? 
  5. There may be various challenges to maintaining your diet in many of the countries where Volunteers serve, including cultural norms and limited availability. Visit Countries to select a country where you want to serve and read more about Food and Diet in the Preparing to Volunteer section in each country. You can also contact a recruiter to learn more.

May my minor children accompany me during my Peace Corps service? 

Minor children are not permitted to accompany Peace Corps Volunteers, including Peace Corps Response and Global Health Service Partnership Volunteers. If you have dependent children, you must ensure that adequate arrangements have been made for their care and support during your Peace Corps service.

What if a family emergency occurs while I am serving? 

If a serious illness or death occurs in your immediate family, the Peace Corps allows a two-week leave period and pays for your travel home. Immediate family is defined as spouse, parent, sibling, child, or grandchild. Volunteers may take leave and travel at their own expense for emergencies affecting extended family, with their country director's approval. Read more about staying in touch with friends and family by visiting the Family and Friends page.

What is housing like? 

The Peace Corps requires you to live in Peace Corps-approved housing, which will vary by country. In most countries, Volunteers are required to live with a host family for pre-service training and, in certain countries, Volunteers live with host families for the duration of their service. Visit the Housing and Site Location in the Preparing for Service section of the Countries where you would like to serve, or contact a recruiter for more information.

Will I be the only Peace Corps Volunteer in my community? 

Depending on your site placement, you may be the only Volunteer in your community, which will help foster integration. In many countries, Volunteers live with a host family during service. Typically, there are opportunities to see nearby Volunteers on weekends, holidays, and for training sessions and collaborative projects. Visit the Housing and Site Location in the Preparing for Service section of the Countries where you wish to service, or contact a recruiter for more.


  1. Is there a charge for World Wise Schools materials? 
  2. Our materials are free to use, copy, and distribute without permission. However, you cannot reproduce and sell World Wise Schools resources for profit.


  1. Can I have debt of any sort (e.g., tuition for my children, credit card debt, mortgage) and still serve in the Peace Corps? 
  2. You can serve in the Peace Corps with outstanding financial obligations if you can show that the debts can be managed and/or paid in a timely way during service. If you plan to have another person assume responsibility for making payments on a debt, an original copy of a notarized statement from that person acknowledging his or her responsibility is required. Additionally, you may include an allotment or multiple allotments up to 75 percent of your gross monthly allowance from your Volunteer readjustment allowance when making debt payment plans. This allotment is not available until the trainee is sworn in as a Volunteer. These allotments must be paid directly to the company that holds the debt. For student loan debt, you should contact the lender directly to see if they offer any relief or deferrment plans.

Can interest accrue on deferred loans? 

In some cases, yes. Check with your lender(s) to discuss what will happen with your loans once they are deferred. Volunteers might have to pay interest on unsubsidized loans during service, including Stafford Loans, Federal Consolidation Loans that include unsubsidized loans, and Federal Direct Loans. After your training, you may authorize payments of up to $243.75 (at this time) per month from your readjustment allowance to cover interest due on your student loans.
I am still within my grace period for my student loan, and haven't started making payments yet. 

Should I fill out the student loan form and send it anyway? 

  1. You should always contact your lender to find out when they will accept your application for a student loan request, e.g. deferment. If your lender says you must wait until the six-month grace period expires, wait until that time. Bring extra forms with you and have an official in-country sign them or leave the forms with your power of attorney to have the forms completed by headquarters (
  2. I have a house and/or financial obligations in the U.S. What's the best way to maintain them? 
  3. You may want to discuss with an attorney the possibility of giving a relative or friend power of attorney to handle your financial matters, along with an accountant to file your taxes while you are serving abroad. Keep in mind that your monthly living allowance and readjustment allowance are considered taxable income, so W-2 forms will be sent to your in-country worksite. You can either file your taxes from overseas or send them home, along with other income records, to be filed by someone else. As a Volunteer, you may be granted an extension on the tax filing date. Consult your tax adviser for additional information.

I was told that I need to reapply for deferment of my student loan after one year. Can my parents (or another family member) do that for me? What do I need to do?

To reapply for deferment of your student loan during your service, you will need to designate someone to have access to your information. To do this, fill out the Privacy Waiver included in your invitation and submit it during staging.The designated party should request loan deferment paperwork from the Peace Corps Volunteer & PSC Financial Services to request the appropriate documentation for your student loan request at this address: Peace Corps Headquarters Attn: Certifying Officer, CFO/VPS 1111 20th St. NW, Second Floor, Washington, DC 20526. Contact 855.855.1961 ext. 1784 or for more information. Note: The Privacy Act Waiver gives the Peace Corps the ability to discuss and release financial information to a family member or friend who you designate. The Privacy Act Waiver is different from a power of attorney. A lender will mostly likely need you to assign a power of attorney for someone to speak to them on your behalf. Applicants to Peace Corps Response should speak to a recruiter for their options.

Life After Peace Corps

Am I eligible for unemployment as a returned Peace Corps Volunteer? 
Returned Volunteers are not eligible for unemployment benefits. The Department of Labor has ruled that individuals enrolled in the Peace Corps are Volunteers who perform services under terms and conditions that do not rise to the legal relationship of employer and employee and, therefore, are not considered in employment covered under Title II of the Emergency Jobs and Unemployment Assistance Act of 1974, Public Law 93-567.88, Stat. 1845. 

A prospective federal employer is asking for an SF-50 form and/or a performance appraisal. What do I do? 
The SF-50 is a "Notification of Personnel Action," and serves as a permanent record of a federal employee's promotions, pay-grade increases, or other administrative matters. As a Peace Corps Volunteer, you were not a federal employee and therefore do not have an SF-50. You can submit your description of service as a performance appraisal. If you need a copy, complete a request form and email it to

How do I know if I qualify for noncompetitive eligibility? 
Generally, returned Volunteers must have successfully completed a full tour of Peace Corps service to receive this eligibility. Country directors may choose to issue this certification to a Volunteer who, for reasons beyond his or her control, does not complete service, but who has satisfactorily served for a sufficient duration (normally at least 12 months) to demonstrate the capability to serve a full term. Volunteers who resign from Peace Corps service are not eligible for noncompetitive appointment regardless of how long they served. Peace Corps Response and Global Health Service Partnership Volunteers who complete 12 months of service in a 24-month period are eligible for noncompetitive eligibility within the Peace Corps. PCR and GHSP Volunteers who complete two consecutive years of service receive noncompetitive eligibility for agencies outside the Peace Corps. 

Learn more about what noncompetitive eligibility is and how it can help you get hired by federal agencies. 

How do I obtain a copy of my description of service? 

Please complete the DOS request form and send it to

  • I have questions about the PC-127C form. 

For questions about using your PC-127C form, visit the RPCV support page. To request a replacement PC-127C form, contact the Post-Service Medical Unit at 855.855.1961 ext. 1540 or 202.692.1540. Or, email the Post-Service Medical Unit at

  • I need a copy of my medical and vaccination records. 

To make your request, download and complete the Authorization for Release of Medical Information Form. Send the completed form to Office of Health Services, Medical Records at For additional questions or concerns, contact the Office of Health Services, Medical Records at 855.855.1961 ext. 1502 or 202.692.1502.

My health-care provider did not receive full payment from the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) and now I am being billed. What do I do? 
OWCP uses a schedule of maximum allowable medical charges. Providers agree to comply with the OWCP medical fee schedule. You do not have to pay the difference between the maximum charge set by the schedule and the charge made by the provider.

The U.S. Department of Labor Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) is asking me for a job description for my Peace Corps service. What do I do? 
The description of service (DOS) completed by you and signed by the country director is considered your job description. If you did not complete a DOS, contact the desk officer for your country of service to initiate the process. If you completed a DOS but have not received a copy, complete a request form and email it to

What about my medical coverage and insurance after my Peace Corps service is over? 

Returned Volunteers are eligible for three months of coverage by a private health insurance called Aftercorps. The Peace Corps pays the first month’s premium for you and you have the option to purchase two additional months for yourself and pay for any qualified dependents. If you have service-related conditions that need an evaluation, your medical officer or the Office of Medical Services at headquarters will provide an authorization form for this evaluation. If an illness or injury was related to your Volunteer service, you may be eligible for benefits under the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act through the Department of Labor. Learn more about benefits here.

  • Why can’t the Peace Corps provide treatment for my service-related conditions after I finish my service? 

In accordance with the federal regulations of the Peace Corps Act of 1961, treatment of Peace Corps-related medical and dental conditions for Volunteers who have closed service falls under the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act as administered by the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP). The Peace Corps does not have the legal authority to pay for or provide health care for returned Volunteers. If you require ongoing medical treatment due to a service-related injury, the Post-Service Unit will assist you in filing a claim for FECA benefits. All entitlement decisions rests with OWCP and not the Peace Corps.

Medical & Health

I have a specific medical condition. Will it impact my ability to serve or where I am placed? 
It may. Peace Corps Volunteers serve around the world in physically, emotionally, and mentally challenging environments where medical resources and local transportation services may vary significantly from those in the U.S.  Each applicant’s medical history is considered individually to ensure Peace Corps is able to safely meet their medical needs in their country of service. To learn more about medical considerations, including conditions that may disqualify a person for Peace Corps service, read Important Medical Information for Applicants. Additionally, each job opening lists specific medical considerations for that country. If you apply, you must fully disclose your medical history so Peace Corps can consider your health needs. 

What is involved in the medical review process? 
The medical review will require a dental and physical evaluation, lab work, and selected immunizations. Depending on a person's age and gender, the medical review may also include an ECG, colon cancer screening, Pap smear and/or a mammogram. We require that all necessary dental work be completed (wisdom teeth extracted (if recommended), cavities filled, braces removed) in order to give final clearance to serve abroad.  For more information, please go to the Medical Information for Applicants page.

Does the Peace Corps pay for costs incurred during the medical clearance process?
The Peace Corps provides a small cost-sharing contribution toward medical expenses incurred during the medical qualification process: $60 for dental, between $125 and $290 for physical exams (depending on age and gender), and, if requested, $12 for eyeglass prescription and $150 for the yellow fever vaccination if it is required for a Volunteer's country of service. Costs above these amounts are the applicant’s responsibility. We encourage applicants to research for lower cost alternatives (e.g., National Association of Free Clinics, VISION USA, and International College of Dentists). Local health departments may provide reasonably priced immunizations.

What immunizations do Volunteers need? 
Peace Corps requires proof of routine childhood immunizations, which may be shot records or blood tests, to include tetanus/diphtheria, chickenpox, polio, measles, mumps and rubella. Depending on a Volunteer’s country of service, yellow fever vaccination may also be required. Vaccines necessary for a specific country of service will be given by Peace Corps medical staff when a Volunteer arrives in-country. Should a Volunteer choose to get any additional immunizations it is his or her responsibility to pay for them. For information on recommended immunizations by country please refer to

I have received an invitation to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer; does this mean I'm medically cleared to serve? 
No, invitations to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer are contingent on final medical clearance. Once you have completed your Health History Form, a pre-service nurse will review your medical considerations and determine if you can be medically cleared. Please respond to all requests for information and activities by any deadlines so that your clearance process is not delayed.

How do I log into the Medical Applicant Portal (MAP)? 
Before logging in, be sure you've registered in MAP here. After you register, you can log in through the regular MAP link here. If you're using the correct username and your candidate reference number without success or your account is locked, email and let us know. Be sure to include your name and date of birth.

Do Volunteers get health insurance during Peace Corps service? 
The Peace Corps provides appropriate and necessary health care to Volunteers during their service. Visit Medical Care During Service to learn more. After service, the Peace Corps pays for one month of health-care coverage under AfterCorps and returned Volunteers may purchase up to two more months of additional coverage. Federal retirees may suspend federal employee health benefits during service. (Talk with your retirement office to ensure that the suspension is done in a way that permits re-enrollment.) For individuals with Medicare, check with your Medicare office to find out if payments will continue to be deducted from your Social Security payment while you serve. You can cancel Medicare Part B (so you don’t have to pay the monthly premiums during your service) and re-enroll without penalty when you return to the U.S., as long as you submit the re-enrollment form prior to your close of service.

Peace Corps Response

Can Peace Corps Response Volunteers extend their assignment? 
Assignment extensions are based on the needs of the host partner organization. There's a formal approval process, which is managed by the country director. Visit Peace Corps Response to learn about positions needed now.

How do I check the status of my Peace Corps Response application? 
You can check your application status at any time by logging into your account and clicking on “Job Submission Status,” then checking the “HR Status” column.

I already submitted an application for the two-year program. Can I use the same one for Peace Corps Response? 
No. There are separate application processes and applicant portals for the two-year program and Peace Corps Response. Visit the Volunteer Openings page to explore Volunteer opportunities available now.

I am a currently serving Peace Corps Volunteer interested in transitioning to a Peace Corps Response assignment after I complete my current service. What should I consider? 
Search the Peace Corps Response positions three to four months before your close of service date for openings that match your interest and experience. Submit your application at least 45 days before you close service. All Peace Corps Volunteers must complete their two-year service before starting a Peace Corps Response position; the Peace Corps Response assignment must begin within 60 days of your close of service. If you were unable to finish your service due to circumstances beyond your control, but finished in good standing, you may be considered. Your federal noncompetitive eligibility will be deferred until your Peace Corps Response assignment is complete.

I don't see any Peace Corps Response openings that match my skills. What should I do? 
If you don't see an opening now that matches your skills, you should continue to monitor open positions, as new opportunities are posted daily. You can also upload your résumé to our database, and we'll contact you if a position that fits your skills becomes available. 


I'm worried about my safety overseas. How can I find out more about risks and crime in countries where Volunteers serve? 
The Peace Corps takes Volunteer safety and security very seriously and every single Volunteer receives extensive training to reduce risks as much as possible.  To find out more about the Peace Corps’ approach to safety, check out the Health & Safety section of the website, read Peace Corps' Annual Statistical Report of Crimes Against Volunteers [PDF], or review country-specific sections on preparing to Volunteer.

I was a victim of a sexual assault, stalking, or other crime. What are my options? 
First, make sure you are safe and not in immediate danger. As soon as you are safe, contact the duty officer for your post to report the incident. The Office of Victim Advocacy provides victim advocates for current and returned Peace Corps Volunteers who have been victims of sexual assault, stalking, and other crimes. To report or discuss any crimes, contact the Office of Victim Advocacy at 202.409.2704 (call/text) or by email at Victim advocates are available 24/7. For anonymous crisis information for victims of sexual assault, you can contact the PC Saves hotline at (online chat or call-back); for calls outside the U.S., dial 001.408.844-HELP(4357); for calls in the U.S., dial 408-844-HELP(4357).

Staying in Touch

  1. I'm a returned Peace Corps Volunteer. How do I update my contact information? 
  2. Returned Volunteers should update their contact information through the RPCV portal. If you encounter any problems submitting the form, contact
  3. I want to purchase Peace Corps memorabilia such as T-shirts, bumper stickers, patches, etc.? 
  4. The National Peace Corps Association is the only organization authorized to sell Peace Corps-branded items. To learn more, visit
  5. I would like to contact a specific returned Peace Corps Volunteer. 
  6. Due to the Privacy Act, the Peace Corps is not permitted to disclose personal contact information for returned Volunteers.

University Programs

Can I serve abroad as a Peace Corps fellow? 
All Peace Corps Coverdell fellows are required to complete an internship in an underserved American community within the U.S. Because of the U.S. government's relationship with some other countries, an internship abroad may satisfy the requirement. Go to the Office of Insular Affairs at the Department of the Interior for a list of included jurisdictions. 

Will serving as a campus ambassador help me get into the Peace Corps? 
Serving as a campus ambassador will not directly increase your chances of being selected for Peace Corps service. It can, however, indirectly support your application for future service. As a campus ambassador, you will work closely with a Peace Corps recruiter who can review your résumé and advise you before you submit an application. And, having Peace Corps campus ambassador on your résumé can help you stand out in a competitive applicant pool.
Will the Coverdell Fellows Program give me money to go to the university of my choice? 
The Coverdell Fellows Program isn't a scholarship program. The program includes financial support for fellows, but the partner university decides the type and amount of assistance. 

Budget & Performance

The Peace Corps provides financial and performance information that enables the President, Congress, and the public to assess the progress our agency has made toward achieving its strategic objectives, demonstrating accountability, and increasing operational effectiveness measures.
The Performance and Accountability Report provides detailed information on our audited financial statements and performance results achieved.

Performance and Accountability Report - FY 2015 [PDF]
Congressional Budget Justification indicates how the Peace Corps plans to use its resources to achieve its mission. 

Congressional Budget Justification - FY 2017 [PDF]
Strategic Plans outline the steps required to achieve our agency goals both now and in the future. 

Strategic Plan FY 2014–2018 and Annual Performance Plan FY 2016–2017 [PDF]
Sustainability Plans address the President’s executive order on environmental, energy, economic performance, and sustainability and provides an overview of how the Peace Corps is reducing carbon emissions and energy use to save taxpayer dollars.

  1. Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan - 2016 [PDF]
  2. Climate Change Adaptation Plan - 2015 [PDF]
  3. View how the Peace Corps invests in countries around the world using the U.S. Government's Foreign Assistance Dashboard.
  4. See archived reports and Office of Inspector General audits and reports.


For more than five decades, Peace Corps Volunteers in 140 countries have demonstrated ingenuity, creativity, and grit to solve critical challenges alongside community leaders.
Through the years, Peace Corps Volunteers have been connected by their passion for service and love for their host countries.

The transformative impact of the Peace Corps on the communities we serve and the Volunteers themselves can be measured in many ways. A shared cup of tea with a host mother that leads to a greater understanding of Americans. A new school library built, or a safe latrine where there wasn't one before. A young boy prepared to serve his own community, a young girl who sees herself as equal to her male classmates. A Volunteer with a clear career path and a lifelong passion. Here are just some of the ways the Peace Corps measures impact.

  1. In the field
  2. Fighting HIV/AIDS
  3. Fighting Hunger
  4. Protecting the Environment
  5. Improving Access to Technology
  6. In the community

Peace Corps Volunteers leave a legacy in the lives of the community members they reach, educate, and inspire. Some of those young people grow up to be extraordinary leaders, including engineers, doctors, and government officials. See some of their stories:

The Legacy Project

Former President of Peru Alejandro Toledo
Uganda Supreme Court Justice Bart Katureebe
Watch full series
In career success

Returned Peace Corps Volunteers have gone on to achieve extraordinary success in all kinds of fields. 

Some, inspired by their service, stay in education or health-related professions, or choose to join the Foreign Service. Others pursue careers in business, from entrepreneurial startups to management at major companies. 

Returned Peace Corps Volunteers are working as journalists, writers, members of Congress, and even astronauts.

Agency Jobs

The Peace Corps is a U.S. federal government agency dedicated to building and sustaining relationships with global communities through the service of our dedicated Volunteers.
An integral part of the Peace Corps is the talented and diverse professional staff committed to the agency’s mission and providing behind-the-scenes support for our Volunteers abroad. Whether you are just starting your career or have professional experience and/or specialized skills already, the Peace Corps is a great place to work. 

Learn more about employment requirements as well as employee benefits and compensation.

  1. Domestic positions
  2. Overseas positions
  3. Internships
  4. Business opportunities
  5. Reasonable accommodations

The Peace Corps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Office of Human Resources by calling 202.692.1200, or the Office of Civil Rights and Diversity at 202.692.2137. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.

The Peace Corps is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees, Volunteers, and applicants for employment and Volunteer service. Learn more about our Equal Opportunity policies.

Peace Corps staff are passionate and dedicated to the cause of service. They do critical work to support our Volunteers and provide them the opportunity for a life-defining experience. Our staff is energetic, committed, hard-working, and positive. The work they do truly makes a difference.


Domestic positions
The Peace Corps ranks No. 2 overall among mid-sized agencies in the Partnership for Public Service’s 2015 Best Places to Work in the Federal Government rankings. It's a great place to work where your talents and experience can help make a difference in the lives of people around the world.

Many staff positions relate to the recruitment and selection of Volunteers, in addition to a wide range of roles in program management, administrative services, finance, security, human capital, communications, legal services, health services, and information technology.

Employment locations include the Peace Corps headquarters in Washington, D.C., and regional offices.

Submitting an application

Only U.S. citizens can be employed for Peace Corps staff positions. Apply or view a list of current staff vacancies at USAJOBS.

Overseas positions
The Peace Corps offers a variety of full-time staff and contractor opportunities in our host countries, divided into three regions: Africa; Europe, Mediterranean, and Asia; and Inter-America and the Pacific.

Country post management positions
Only U.S. citizens may be hired for the following Peace Corps overseas staff positions: country director, director of management and operations, director of programming and training, and associate directors. These positions have similar eligibility and benefits as domestic Peace Corps positions, with more particulars on qualifications, clearance, language requirements, and housing in each job description.

Submitting an application

To view a list of current vacancies with full job descriptions and application requirements or to apply, visit USAJOBS.

Medical officer positions

To support our Volunteers in the field, Peace Corps medical officers are needed at each Peace Corps country post and are limited to licensed physicians and licensed and certified nurse practitioners. These contract positions serve as the primary health-care providers for Peace Corps Volunteers and trainees overseas and provide them with education, training, and counseling. The Peace Corps hires U.S. citizens, host country nationals, and third-country nationals for medical officer positions.

Submitting an application

U.S. citizens and third-country nationals (applying for positions outside their country of permanent residence) can apply at any time, as the Peace Corps Office of Health Services continuously recruits non-host country residents for these positions. Candidates determined to be qualified by a selection panel are placed on a roster from which assignments are made as positions become available. Individuals who have been associated with certain intelligence activities cannot be considered for any Peace Corps position. Apply or view more details, including eligibility, responsibilities, benefits, and application materials, on FedBizOpps.

Foreign nationals seeking employment should direct their questions on current openings, eligibility, and the application process to the Peace Corps office in the country they wish to work.


The Peace Corps appreciates the contributions of interns in helping to support our mission and takes pride in how this work experience can shape their future careers. The agency offers unpaid internship positions at our headquarters in Washington, D.C., depending on each department's needs. Historically, our intern program has provided direct experience working in public relations, marketing, human resources, web development, program management, and accounting.

Submitting an application

Interns must have U.S. citizenship or a student visa and must go through the standard background screening required for all Peace Corps employees. Interns are hired throughout the year. If you are interested in an internship, please contact the Internship/Federal Work-Study Program coordinator at

Business opportunities

Get information on doing business with the Peace Corps.
  1. About Peace Corps USA
  2. Changing lives the world over
  3. The Peace Corps is a service opportunity for motivated changemakers to immerse themselves in a community abroad, working side by side with local leaders to tackle the most pressing challenges of our generation.

The Peace Corps Mission

To promote world peace and friendship by fulfilling three goals:
To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.
Share on Google Plus


The publications and/or documents on this website are provided for general information purposes only. Your use of any of these sample documents is subjected to your own decision NB: Join our Social Media Network on Google Plus | Facebook | Twitter | Linkedin