Education Specialist Job 2016 at UNICEF Nigeria: Abuja Headquarters - The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - In September 2014 UNICEF began implementing a joint programme with UN Women on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) funded by the European Union (EU). The programme will support the Nigerian Government (Federal level), three Northern Nigerian States namely Adamawa, Gombe and Plateau and selected Local Government Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
UNICEF is responsible for implementation of Component 2 of the programme, namely ‘to increase access to reporting mechanisms and protective services for girls and women affected by human rights abuses, including gender based violence, in 3 states of northern Nigeria”. This will entail enhancing avenues for reporting of child rights violation and Gender Based Violence in Plateau and Gombe States, strengthening access to and quality of services for children and women who have experienced violence (including gender based violence (GBV), abuse, neglect and exploitation and strengthening the information management system for collecting data on violations.
UNICEF is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Education Specialist
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-03-2016
Level: National Professional (NO-C)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Purpose of the Post
- The incumbent of the post is accountable for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of education programme(s) to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goats and objectives.
- Across the education programme(s), accountable for identifying inequities in education, and for developing innovative approaches and programmes to eliminating these.
- Collaborates across the programme(s) to ensure gender and equity based mainstreaming.
- Ensures that monitoring mechanisms are in place to track progress towards goals and targets in education
Qualifications and Competencies Required
- Advanced university degree in one or more of the discipline relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education, or a Social Sciences fields relevant to international development assistance.
- Five years of progressively professional work experience at national international levels in field programme relevant to education programme.
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization an asset. Experience in national level development assistance is an asset. Experience with addressing gender disparities and asset Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station.
- Advanced technical knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Educational Planning, Economics, Social Sciences, and/or related fields.
- Gender and diversity awareness
- Leadership in identifying encouraging end mentoring capable women.
- Knowledge of the global commitment on aid effectiveness, including the Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness, the Accra Agenda for Action as well as knowledge of the Global Programme Partnerships (GPPs)
- Knowledge of theories and practices in: Programme/project management in Education, Monitoring and Evaluation, Training and Capacity Development in Education, Alternative Basic Education, Curriculum Development and Knowledge Management.
Application Closing Date
3rd February, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their applications, accompanied by updated CV's in English and a completed United Nations Personal History Form.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com Candidates are advised to put the position title they are applying for on the subject line of their emails.