MEDIA PREPARATION IN MICROBIOLOGY - Okereke and Kanu

The following steps were taken in preparation of the media as outlined by Okereke and Kanu (2004).
1.            I weighed and dissolved the nutrient agar base according to the manufacturer’s instruction.
2.            I dispensed the media in 14ml in bijou bottles and sterilized in an autoclave at 121oC for 15 minutes.
3.            I also autoclaved the Petri dishes at the above temperature and pressure for 15 minutes.
4.            I allowed the media to cool to about 50oC and using a sterile syringe I dispensed 1ml of
sterile blood into the sterile plates.
5.            I aseptically unscrewed the cap of the bottle flames the mouth of the bottle for few seconds and poured into the Petri dishes
6.            I them mixed properly and allowed to gel.

INOCULATION AND INCUBATION
            Before inoculation of the media, I made sure that the surface of the media was dry. Then I inoculated using the steps listed by Cheesbrough (2006).
1.                  Using a swab of the specimen I applied the inoculums to a small area of the plate and then spread to other parts of the media by a zigzag streaking method.
2.                  After this, I inverted the plates and labelled, then I incubated at 37oC for 18hrs.
The plates were inverted so as to prevent any condensation from falling onto the cultures.
Share on Google Plus

Declaimer - Unknown

The publications and/or documents on this website are provided for general information purposes only. Your use of any of these sample documents is subjected to your own decision NB: Join our Social Media Network on Google Plus | Facebook | Twitter | Linkedin

READ RECENT UPDATES HERE