1. Introduction of the first legislative principles
2. It had a national outlook it was the first constitution that governed the whole country
3. It provided for the office of ministers in Nigeria
4. The constitution reflect the minds and aspiration of the masses because of the wide rage of consultation before it introduction
5. It introduced quasi federalism for Nigeria
6. It introduced for the first time a revenue allocation formula in Nigeria based on theprinciples of derivation, needs and national interest
More so, when compared with improved constitutions which came up after the Macpherson’s one may likely conclude that some of the flaws or demerits of the constitution are:
1. It did not provide for a true political leadership either at the centre or in the regions eg there was no provision for the posts of the prime minster or premier, consequently the government of the federation had no effective leadership.
2. It failed to provide for a responsible government at the centre
3. It contain both the elements of unitary and federal forms of government
4. There was lack of adequate representation with the introduction of the electoral collage
5. It did not provide for coalition or team spirit in the council of ministers.
Consequently, the above aforementioned disadvantages attached to Macpherson constitution of 1951 and quest for a more federalist and representative responsible government made it imperative for new constitution to the drafted , this give arise to the birth or introduction of Littleton constitution of 1954.
Aluu, Okpani, (Unpublished ) Teaching Notes on Government,
Federal Government College Okposi 2010
Igwenyi, Ben, O. Modern Constitutional law in Nigeria, Nwamazi,
Nwankwo, B.C authority in Government , Almond Press, Makuridi